Future In Our hands-USA (FIOH-USA) is a 501c3 organization created in repsonse to the dire needs of the poor in Kenya, We are a small local organization with close personal relationships with the people we assist. Future In Or Hands-USA is a part of the Future in Our Hands International Network (FIOH) -a humanitarian and environmental action organization with partners in many countries throughout the world.
FIOH-USA was founded by two Buffalo, NY natives, Michele Sprada and Sister Linda Glaeser, SSJ who visited Kisumu, Kenya and returned with a deep yearning to do something about the poverty they witnessed.
Mission of Future In Our Hands – USA
Future in Our Hands – USA, is dedicated to more equitable use of world resources. FIOH-USA raises funds to support education, health care, sanitation and to help obtain potable water for impoverished people throughout the world. FIOH-USA stands for a commitment to co-operation and active consideration (rather than competition) for our fellow human beings; equal rights for everyone; and co-responsibility to safeguard the environment for current and future generations. FIOH-USA hopes to promote social and economic justice in impoverished countries around the world.
The board of directors of FIOH – USA consists of an all volunteer group of individuals that generously donate their time to ensure that FIOH – USA can effectively accomplish it’s mission.
Sister Linda Glaeser, SSJ – President and Co-founder- Sister of St. Joseph, Physical Therapist
Mary Ellen Dye – Vice-President-Retired Special Education Teacher
Sandy Warner – Treasurer-Retired Bank Examiner
Ellen Dragos– Secretary, biblical scholar and mom
Clay Carson – Retired Engineer
Mary Owusu – Web Design Specialist
Rachel Turner– retired banker and mother
Kitty Strickland – Fundraising Specialist
Since our founding in 2005 FIOH-USA has funded many projects including:
- Building wells to provide safe water for the people of Kenya
- Sponsoring students to attend high school, college and vocational training in Kenya and Zambia
- Providing monthly transportation to clinics so that HIV positive Kenyans are able to get their anti-retroviral medications.
- Funding micro-loans to empower Kenyan and Zambian women’s groups in income-generating activities.
- Providing sanitary pads to female students at Kanyamedha Secondary School and Usoma Primary School
- Funded an agriculture project that supports rural farmers in Shabila, Zambia.
- Funding a project to improve the quality of education in four Orphan and Vulnerable Children-centered school in Zambia.
Through the generosity of donors, FIOH-USA is able to provide water, food , health, education and work to our brothers and sisters in Kenya, and Zambia.
It is our mission to continue to serve those who need our help throughout East Africa and beyond.